Johannes Froebel-Parker, B.A.’79, M.A.’82, M.S.’85, resurrects a century-old mystery in The Art of the Authoress of Anastasia: the Autobiography of H.I.H The Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicholaevna of Russia.
Froebel-Parker also recently authored Grandma Rebecka and the Witches’ Tree, a novel that combines history with culture while using familial experiences to make it accessible to readers of all ages.
of Harrington in Cumberland
Robert became lord of Aldingham by his marriage to Agnes, the sister and heiress of William de Cancefield.
Their son John was summoned to Parliament as Baron Harington during the reign of Edward II, with whom he had been invested as a Knight of the Bath.
The manor of Aldingham had previously been held by Michael le Fleming.
The fret, that is borne on the arms of the Fleming and Harrington families, shows plainly that the College of Herald acknowledged a connecting link between the Fleming and the Harington families.
This book is the outgrowth of a boy’s attempt — many years ago — to learn something about his ancestors.
It has been calculated that, during the period 1620-1640, upwards of 22,000 Puritans and Independents (the figures have been placed as high as 50,000, showing that no exact record was kept) came to New England from English and Dutch ports. Those from the latter being Independents who had previously fled from England to Holland, to escape religious persecution.
It is obvious that it would be futile to attempt to locate the homes from which this throng started. In comparatively few cases the record or tradition has been preserved, but with a vast majority of these pilgrims, it is impossible to ascertain even the names of the counties from which they came.
Immediately after the Conquest, Aldingham was granted to Michael Flandrensis, or le Fleming, sometimes called Michael de Furness.
Sir Michael, son of William le Fleming, being drowned in the Leven, and dying without issue, his sister Alice carried the inheritance by marriage into the family of Cancefeld of Cantsfield, in Tunstall parish.
The abbot of Furness demised the manor of Aldyngham to Sir Robert Haverington, a.d. 1273, having come to his hands by the death of William, brother of John de Cansfeld.
William de Cancefield the last of the male line, was succeeded by his sister Agnes, who marrying Robert de Harrington of Harrington in Cumberland, constituted him lord of Aldingham.
The fret, that is borne on the arms of the Fleming and Harrington families, shows plainly that the Herald’s College considered a connecting link between the Fleming and the Harrington families.
For 350 years Governor John Winthrop’s journal has been recognized as the central source for the history of Massachusetts in the 1630s and 1640s.
Winthrop reported events—especially religious and political events—more fully and more candidly than any other contemporary observer.The governor’s journal has been edited and published three times since 1790, but these editions are long outmoded.
Richard Dunn and Laetitia Yeandle have now prepared a long-awaited scholarly edition, complete with introduction, notes, and appendices. This full-scale, unabridged edition uses the manuscript volumes of the first and third notebooks (both carefully preserved at the Massachusetts Historical Society), retaining their spelling and punctuation, and James Savage’s transcription of the middle notebook (accidentally destroyed in 1825).
Winthrop’s narrative began as a journal and evolved into a history.
As a dedicated Puritan convert, Winthrop decided to emigrate to America in 1630 with members of the Massachusetts Bay Company, who had chosen him as their governor. Just before sailing, he began a day-to-day account of his voyage. He continued his journal when he reached Massachusetts, at first making brief and irregular entries, followed by more frequent writing sessions and contemporaneous reporting, and finally, from 1643 onward, engaging in only irregular writing sessions and retrospective reporting.
Winthrop built lasting significance into the seemingly small-scale actions of a few thousand colonists in early New England, which is why his journal will remain an important historical source.
Sempringham Priory survived until 1538 when it was dissolved by Henry VIII.
The estate was purchased by the Clinton family, the monastic buildings pulled down, and a large Tudor house erected. This grand house eventually fell into decay and it too has disappeared, leaving only earthworks.
The only tangible reminders of the important priory and the Gilbertines are the parish church where the priory had its roots, and a holy well.
There was a Saxon church at Sempringham, in the marshy fens.
Around 1100 Jocelin of Sempringham replaced that Saxon building with a new church dedicated to St Andrew. Jocelin had a son named Gilbert.
Gilbert of Sempringham was trained as a clerk in France. He entered the household of the Bishop of Lincoln, and in 1129 was appointed Vicar of Sempringham and West Torrington by the Bishop.
In 1131 Gilbert built a simple range of buildings against the north wall of the church, with accommodation for seven local women, who vowed to live a life of charity, obedience, chastity, and humility.
This was the beginning of the Gilbertine Order, the only completely British monastic order during the Middle Ages. The original monastic buildings proved inadequate, and in 1139 Gilbert received a grant of land from Gilbert de Gant (Ghent) to erect a new priory about 350 yards away to the south west.
Sempringham Priory was a double house, with provision for both men and women (though the genders were segregated) and grew to provide a home for 200 nuns and 40 canons.
Gilbert became friends with Henry II and the Gilbertine Order were granted royal protection.