Johannes Froebel-Parker, B.A.’79, M.A.’82, M.S.’85, resurrects a century-old mystery in The Art of the Authoress of Anastasia: the Autobiography of H.I.H The Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicholaevna of Russia.
Froebel-Parker also recently authored Grandma Rebecka and the Witches’ Tree, a novel that combines history with culture while using familial experiences to make it accessible to readers of all ages.
of Harrington in Cumberland
Robert became lord of Aldingham by his marriage to Agnes, the sister and heiress of William de Cancefield.
Their son John was summoned to Parliament as Baron Harington during the reign of Edward II, with whom he had been invested as a Knight of the Bath.
The manor of Aldingham had previously been held by Michael le Fleming.
The fret, that is borne on the arms of the Fleming and Harrington families, shows plainly that the College of Herald acknowledged a connecting link between the Fleming and the Harington families.
Sempringham Priory survived until 1538 when it was dissolved by Henry VIII.
The estate was purchased by the Clinton family, the monastic buildings pulled down, and a large Tudor house erected. This grand house eventually fell into decay and it too has disappeared, leaving only earthworks.
The only tangible reminders of the important priory and the Gilbertines are the parish church where the priory had its roots, and a holy well.
There was a Saxon church at Sempringham, in the marshy fens.
Around 1100 Jocelin of Sempringham replaced that Saxon building with a new church dedicated to St Andrew. Jocelin had a son named Gilbert.
Gilbert of Sempringham was trained as a clerk in France. He entered the household of the Bishop of Lincoln, and in 1129 was appointed Vicar of Sempringham and West Torrington by the Bishop.
In 1131 Gilbert built a simple range of buildings against the north wall of the church, with accommodation for seven local women, who vowed to live a life of charity, obedience, chastity, and humility.
This was the beginning of the Gilbertine Order, the only completely British monastic order during the Middle Ages. The original monastic buildings proved inadequate, and in 1139 Gilbert received a grant of land from Gilbert de Gant (Ghent) to erect a new priory about 350 yards away to the south west.
Sempringham Priory was a double house, with provision for both men and women (though the genders were segregated) and grew to provide a home for 200 nuns and 40 canons.
Gilbert became friends with Henry II and the Gilbertine Order were granted royal protection.
26 August, 1629
"the whole Government, together with the patent for the said Plantation" shall go with them to the new settlement.
In effect, they are resolved to establish full independence of the plantation from any authority in England.
The full Court of the Company, within a few days and after much discussion, agreed to this proviso, no doubt influenced by the signatories’ resolve, and the fact that their willingness to settle the plantation hinged upon this point.
Previous patents had defaulted due to lack of action, and so the Company’s adventurers as a whole acquiesced to this loss of their authority to those of the Company who were ready to risk their lives and the lives of their families in an attempted settlement in New England. A majority of the adventurers, Puritans of a like mind, supported them.
Their foresight in taking the Charter with them to the new settlement proved crucial when, in 1635, King Charles and Archbishop Laud sought to destroy it and force a viceregal dictatorship upon the settlers. Their efforts were thereby delayed until Parliamentary victories made the Massachusetts Bay Commonwealth secure in its rights.
under date of September 30, 1630, Winthrop wrote:
“About two in the morning, Mr. Isaac Johnson died ; his wife, the lady Arbella, of the house of Lincoln, being dead about one month before.”
In a footnote on the same page, Mr, Savage explains that the Lady Arbella, the wife of Isaac Johnson, was the daughter of the third Earl of Lincoln and that her sister, Susan, married John Humfrey.
under date of July, 1634, this all-important record:
“Mr. Humfrey and the lady Susan, his wife, one of the Earl of Lincoln’s sisters, arrived here.”
The journal contains many other allusions to Humfrey, but this is enough to establish the identity of John Humfrey, the Massachusetts magistrate, with John Humfrey, the husband of the Lady Susan.
John Humfrey was one of the signatories of the Cambridge Agreement. He was the treasurer of the Dorchester Company, which established an unsuccessful settlement on Massachusetts Bay in the 1620s, and was deputy governor of the Massachusetts Bay Company from 1629 to 1630. He was unable to accompany Governor Winthrop on the 1630 fleet that brought the first large-scale migration to Massachusetts, and was consequently replaced by Thomas Dudley as deputy governor shortly before the fleet sailed. He came to Massachusetts in 1634, where he served as a magistrate.
In 1640 Lord Saye and Sele offered, and Humphreys accepted, appointment as governor of the Providence Island colony.