In 1564 Queen Elizabeth, by letters patent, confirmed to Stephen, the only surviving son of Sir James Harington of Wolphege, his prospective inheritance under the grant from Henry VIII.
In 1570 Queen Elizabeth granted to John Harington of Stepney the Crown’s reversion to him and his heirs male. This John Harington seems to have descended from Sir James Harington, dean of York, attainted in 1485, being son of Sir Robert Harington, attainted in 1485, being brother of Sir James Harington of Brierley, co. York.
On the death of Stephen Harington of Farleton in 1598, Sir John Harington of Kelston, co. Somerset, son of John Harington of Stepney, attempted to assert his title; but failed to do so.
In 1635 the succeeding John Harington of Kelston surrendered to the king his interest in the manors of Brierley, co. York; Farleton in Lonsdale, co. Lans.; Farleton in Kendale, co. Westmorland; and in all other lands of Sir James Harington, attainted in 1485, which John Harington (of Stepney) had by grant from Queen Elizabeth in 1570. And the king then granted to him one-fifth of all profits from the premises so surrendered and appointed the remaining four-fifths for repairing the Cathedral of St. Paul, London The yearly quit rents being reserved to the Crown.